Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and The Bookish and this week’s topic is: ‘Ten Characters Who Would Make Great Leaders (Leaders of what? That’s your decision)’!
This week’s prompt was open for us to decide which direction we took it, so I decided to tweak it and list characters who are leaders in fashion and style. Like the ones that have me swooning over their wardrobe and green with envy over their style.
All the characters listed are from literary sources, but it wasn’t until I started to list them that I realised that most of the characters who were fashionable (even those that I considered for my list) had been adapted onto film or TV… I guess because fashion is a visual thing after all! So yes, most of the list are characters from book-to-movie or book-to-TV (and likely more memorable fashion-wise for their onscreen character) but they were fashionable in some way in their book, so it totally counts!
Anyways, here are my top ten fictional characters who are fashion trendsetters.
1. Lola Nolan, Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins // As a costume designer, Lola is on top of the list of fictional fashionistas.
2. Louisa Clark, Me Before You by JoJo Moyes // Oh, I LOVED Louisa’s colourful quirky style that added another layer to her endearing character. And just quietly, those bumblebee tights were amazing!
3. America Singer, The Selection series by Keira Cass // America’s beautiful dresses were the envy of all the girls in the selection, who took to copying her style to try and catch the prince’s eye.
4. Effie Trinket, The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins // Effie’s outlandish outfits were a stark contrast to the oppressed districts but oh man, they were amazing.
5. Cinna, The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins // Cinna made Katniss the darling of the Capitol with her ‘Girl on Fire’ dresses and was the one that helped Katniss fulfil her potential early on in the series. (Sidenote: I STILL have tears in Catching Fire in that scene when Katniss is about to go into the arena. SOB.)
6. Blair Waldorf, Gossip Girl by Cecily von Ziegesar // No list of fashionable characters is complete without B! I mean, isn’t she THE ultimate fashion trendsetter?!
7. Serena Van der Woodsen, Gossip Girl by Cecily von Ziegesar // Serena had her own killer style that was edgy and sexy, and very much the envy of everyone (especially me!)
8. Andy Sachs, The Devil Wears Prada by Lauren Weisberger // Andy’s post-makeover looks had me wanting to transplant her clothes into my wardrobe.
9. The Liars, Pretty Little Liars by Sara Shepard // Each of the girls had their own signature style that suited their personalities perfectly — Spencer’s preppy and Aria’s quirky styles had me swooning many times throughout the series.
10. Veronica Lodge, Riverdale (Archie comics) // V’s wardrobe is my current style obsession, and her outfits just get better every episode!
So tell me.. which fictional characters have you swooning over their style? Because I totally need more fictional wardrobes to be envious over.